Beginner’s Guide to the Most Essential Craft Tools that Actually Work!
If you like to DIY things but do not know where to start, here is a comprehensive list of tools that you will find useful.
With the vast variety of craft supplies available in the market, it is extremely confusing to know the right tools to invest in for your crafting hobby.
This Beginner’s Guide to the Most Essential Craft Tools will not only be super useful to you but will also take your crafts to next level.
Beginner’s Guide to the Most Essential Craft Tools
Scissors & Knives
My favourite crafting product is Scissors. It is my stress buster. I’m the happiest with scissors in my (left) hand.
I have multiple scissors for different needs but Cutter Bee is the ONE Scissor that I adore and recommend highly. It comes in a neat cover so you don’t accidentally get injured which I must admit clumsy people with butterfingers (hint: ME) need to have.
Here is a list of all the Scissors and Knives you need in your Craft Supplies :
- The Cutter Bee’s Crafting Scissors is the ULTIMATE pair of scissors everybody crafter needs to own!
- X-Acto Knife – Cuts even so many things with great ease and neat edges.
- A Rotary Cutter is a must-have for cutting through felt, fabric and much more.
- Sewing Scissors– Sometimes you need just plain scissors handy to cut through the fabric.
- Sometime you may want to make some fun crafts for your child or yourself with paper. Have fun with these Paper Edge Scissors and make cun scrapbooks and more.
- All-Purpose Scissors – I keep dedicated scissors for cutting paper, for cutting paper for flowers, another one for cutting my glue dots coz sometimes you don’t want to use the whole circle.
- Wire Cutter & this Wire Cutter Set – This can be used for so many different crafts.
Trimmers & Punches
Although scissors do most of your cutting jobs for you, these products are game changers. They not only do it faster but you will love the neat edges and corners.
Here is a list of Trimmers & Punches you absolutely need:
- Paper Trimmer – I love paper trimmers and have them in two sizes. However, I love the We r Memory Keepers Scoring Board plus Trimmer simply coz I have the option to do more with one single product. They really should come up with more multifunctional products to make life simpler.
- Circle Cutters – I have had this Martha Stewart Cutter since 2012 and I have had to change the blade only once. It is a great product.
- Circle Punches – I love these Fiskar circle punches. Do yourself a favour and buy these to save time and energy.
- Shaped Punches – Have fun with these punches in different shapes and sizes. You never know when you need one.
- Single Hole Punch – You must add this to your craft caddy.
This is a separate topic altogether, but let me keep it basic.
a) Types of Glue: Glue Stick, Fabric Glue, Wood Glue, PVA Glue, Super Glue, Craft Glue
You may need different glue based on the material you are working with. But usually, any PVA glue should suffice for most of your craft projects. Of course, you must keep a glue stick handy for quick and economical paper crafts.
b) Types of Tapes: Clear Tape, Washi Tape, Double sided tape, Masking Tape, Mounting Tape, Scotch Tape.
You need not invest in all sorts of glues and tapes. Just get a few basic and you are good to go.
- Glue dots – This is the quickest and most reliable fix for all my crafting projects.
- Tape Runner – Best Crafting tool ever created!
- Glue Gun – I don’t know any crafter who can function without a glue gun. It may feel messy and inconvenient at first, but befriend it coz this one is a keeper for life.
- Mod Podge – This is like a Magic Potion which will turn your amateur crafts into something so professional looking. There are like entire sites dedicated to mod podge craft. Like this here
- Blue Tac – Sticks things to walls without damaging them.
Supporting Craft Supplies :
- Cutting Mat
- Measuring Tape
- Acrylic Paints + brushes
- Spray Paint
- Foam Sheets
- Crepe Paper
- Tissue Paper
- Variety of papers
I have wasted so much time and money on products that don’t work or are just absolutely frustrating to use. This guide will help you to avoid that mistake.
A big Tip is that you must invest in products that are functional and aren’t just a one time use kind of products. Also, try and plan your crafts around the products you have before you go buy new ones.
Keep practising and keep crafting coz you never know when this hobby of yours turns into a business!